CARE Week Pep Rally Raises Cancer Awareness

Martin Gomez, Staff Writer

In honor of CARE Week, student council held a pep rally Thursday for that night’s football game.

“Student Council wanted to send out a message to people to recognize those who’ve been impacted by cancer in any way,” senior Trey Ellis said. “We wanted to honor those who have passed away while also honoring those who survived their battle with it.”

Formerly “Pink Out” for Breast Cancer Awareness, CARE Week aims to bring attention to all forms of cancer.

“We have so many families and friends that have been affected by other cancers that we thought it would be good to incorporate them,” student council sponsor Heather Colburn said. “It would bring awareness to all types of cancer and honor more than just those who suffered through breast cancer.”

Junior David Pham, who took part in the pep rally, said bringing awareness to all types of cancer helps people stay informed about it.

“Many people don’t realize the importance of going to get checked (for cancer),” he said. “The risk isn’t just for specific people; it could happen to anyone.

Funds, which were collected through the sale of CARE Week shirts and various spirit food nights, went to a scholarship in Amanda Ferguson’s honor.

“Ferguson served as the Special Needs Director at Mansfield Methodist Church in Mansfield,” she said. “She had a rare form of bone cancer and passed away last year. We’re family friends and I thought it was a good time to bring awareness and show support in our community (for those) who had to deal with cancer.”