Key Club Collects Donations for Trick-or-Treat UNICEF Initiative

Daja Dansby, Editor

Throughout the month of October, members of Key Club will be collecting cash donations as a part of the Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF initiative.

“For kids to branch out and think about other people is a wonderful thing,” Adviser Aisha Wilkes said.

The donations go to helping third world countries get things like school supplies and vaccines.  Members will be carrying around orange boxes which students can drop dollars and coins into.

“When I get donations, I get really happy that people are willing to donate to this cause and they’re being selfless about it,” Key Club President Jessica Truong said.

The last time the school raised funds for UNICEF was 2015.

“The first time I did this I raised $20,” Truong said. “We just started and I have around $10 which is really good.”

The goal is to raise $250 by the end of the month.

“Just asking the teachers to stand in front of the classroom and make an announcement (makes) a big difference,” Wilkes said. “There are a lot of students that don’t know what’s going on around school. We want to make sure that people are aware of it.”

There is a competition among members to see who can raise the most money.

“(Collecting money) has been going great,” Shah said. “(People) are happy to donate.”

Wilkes said that she wants students to know that the money is going to a great cause.

“Sometimes we’re trapped in this bubble and we forget that there are other people in this world who are less fortunate,” Wilkes said. “The person next to you may not have the same things that you have in your home. I want them to understand that just because you don’t see it all the time, doesn’t mean it’s not there.”