District Changes AP Exam Fee Policy

Anh Trinh, Editor

Because the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) eliminated the Advanced Placement (AP) Test Fee Program, students now have to pay for every AP exam they elect to take.

“They (AP exams) are still a worthy investment as long as you take them seriously,” senior Ivan Blaylock said. “The only difference is now I’m going to have to pick and choose the ones that I have a shot at getting a good score.”

AP tests are $25 per exam and $12 for those with free or reduced lunches.

“Paying for the tests will give me more motivation to study because it’s coming out of my pocket,” senior Kenneth Dean said.  “Otherwise it is just another state test.”

The program, which started in 1998, moved all funding to other educational programs under a new Title IV.

“It’s not as fair because now the district has to take on the cost,” he said. “Those funds could be put to use elsewhere to improve the district instead.”

The federal government previously provided states with funding to cover the cost of AP exams for low-income students.

“The extra motivation to study will make students work harder,” AP teacher Siddharth Chatterjee said. “They will use their time to focus on the tests they select to take.”

Unlike the previous years where each student had to sign up for their AP tests, students are automatically signed up for every AP class on their schedule.

“Now that we have to pay money, in some ways it’s better,” he said. “It’s making sure students who decide to take the exam are actually trying instead of just taking them because it was free.”