AVID Tours TSU, UH

AVID Tours TSU, UH

Harrison Le, Staff Writer

Showing students different college options, Advancement of Individual Determination (AVID) students took a tour of Texas Southern University (TSU) and the University of Houston (UH) on Monday, April 2.

“The trip’s goal was to expose to students how campus life was going to be,” Coach Gysamuell Humes said. “It exposed them to how they will go about their normal day, find out what different buildings are, and go see how they will enroll in school financial aid.”

The students left the school at 5 a.m. on buses for the four-hour trip, taking multiple stops along the way.

“I thought it was worth waking up early because it allowed us to tour a second college,” junior Violet Mejia said.

AVID first visited the University of Houston, eating lunch and visiting various places within the grounds.

“UOH was pretty cool,” Mejia said. “It was very diverse, and they had a lot of school spirit. We toured the campus while looking at the different buildings.”

Students then were led by a tour guide at TSU around the campus less than one mile away from the University of Houston.

“The game room at TSU was what I enjoyed most,” junior Austin Nguyen said. “At the end of the day, college is supposed serious and you need to be paying attention. The game room reminds me that there is a place that you can chill out.”

The buses arrived at the school from the trip at 8 p.m., ending for Nguyen a rewarding trip he said.

“Exploring and see how the student body interact with each other was the most rewarding part,” he said. “(The trip) was worth it because it influences me to get better grades and keep myself on track for college.”