The School Newspaper of Timberview High School

The Outlook

Boy Scouts to Allow Girls to Join

Vanessa Zuleta

Harrison Le, Staff Writer

Everyone’s heard of the Boy Scouts: camping, tying knots, uniforms, patches and boys. That was until last Wednesday, when the Boy Scouts decided that co-ed Scouts was more fitting. I believe the purpose of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is to guide young boys into the path of manhood while teaching important values. Yet, last week’s move by the organization to accept girls has completely undermined this purpose.

The new proposal calls for the recruitment of girls into the once traditionally all-male program, a first in the 107-year old organization whose membership includes almost three million young men. Acceptance of other genders into the BSA has been a hot topic for the past years, but especially now. In an effort to be more accepting, the BSA decided to allow transgender boys to join the boys’ club in late January. However, in an unprecedented move, they have now chosen to let girls into the organization.

The Boy Scouts decided to admit girls due to decreasing membership and the want to appeal to a wider audience. Instead of employing recruitment programs to appeal to the modern young teen they decided a better option was to reverse the status quo and spite the Girl Scouts entirely.

However, I believe that even with the inclusion of young women, the membership rates are bound to decline again without a more permanent solution. Another factor is simply the changing times. Boy Scouts has been a conservative organization for its entirety of existence until recently. Diversity and gender-neutral activities aren’t always a good thing. Obviously, more liberal thinking from politicians and the country have clearly affected the scouts.

Speaking as a scout myself, I am disappointed in the BSA for caving in to outside pressure. As a member for four years, I know first-hand what being a scout means. The Boy Scouts teaches one to be “loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient and brave.” Words quoted exactly from the Scout Law. It creates an environment where scouts learn comradery. A boy surrounded by his peers will develop differently with the message the scouts promote than one that is surrounded by a different gender.

The Girl Scouts are an entirely different organization altogether. An official post from the Girl Scouts right after the decision was announced dismissed the boys’ organization calling itself “the best girl leadership organization in the world, created with and for girls.” The post stresses the importance of the single-gender environment free from men to promote female leadership.

Boy Scouts teaches brotherhood and principles that boys are taught to become virtuous in the outside world. The uniqueness of the scouts will be lost with the integration of girls.

The inclusion of girls will turn a camp trip with fellow male scouts from an opportunity to grow as men into just another recreational camping trip but with fancy uniforms.