The School Newspaper of Timberview High School

The Outlook

Nation Tested by Trump’s Presidency

Vanessa Zuleta

Dallas Johnson, Staff Writer

After a long night of feeling worried and scared, I woke up to face uncertainty. The day after the election, I didn’t know what was in store for myself, my family and the country. As I tried to understand exactly what happened that night before, I could only keep asking myself the same thing over and over again, “how could we allow something like this to happen?”

However, on Jan. 20, Donald Trump will be inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States of America and become the face of this great country. This is something I, and others, must come to accept.

The 2016 presidential election was a race to remember. Two candidates, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, each greatly despised by half of the country, fought for nearly a year for our vote. What many felt was a surprise win, left us dazed and confused.  I had trouble understanding how a candidate like Trump, a former reality television star with narcissistic tendencies and no political or military experience, could collect so many votes. Narcissism isn’t the best trait for any public figure, especially the president, but Trump has an abundance of it.
The majority of his speeches and interviews reference how lucky we are to have him as our president. He hardly ever states how honored he is to serve us. I don’t understand how a president or leader of any kind could show such little humility. His job is to be the leader of the free world. That entails him being a motivator and role model to the people but how many of us can honestly say we would want to mimic his character?

As president, Trump will be the face of the country and the person that comes to the minds of foreigners when they think of America. What do they think of us now? Trump acts like a pouting child every time he doesn’t get his way or is disrespected. If foreign diplomats exploit his weakness, the country will be on the brink of war for four years. Seriously, how could we allow a man whose temperament is so bad that he must go on Twitter rants just to feel better about himself?

Another issue is Trump’s constant outrageous and ill-mannered statements about women, Muslims, immigrants and even the current president, Barack Obama. Discourteous comments made on Twitter like, “ariannahuff is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man– he made a good decision.” These comments should never be uttered from any respectable man’s mouth, especially from a presidential. Trump is blatantly disrespectful and his inability to act civil in the spotlight will be his downfall.

Although some of us, including myself, are saddened and disappointed by Trump’s victory, we still need to accept him as our 45th  president. Obama had our support these past eight years and a lot of things changed. Some for the good and some for the bad, but that’s what we all signed up for once we cast our votes during election time. In every election someone doesn’t get the person they want to represent us, but they still accept the victor’s right to govern. The same must go for this past election. A 238-year tradition of letting the people chose will not fail us because of one man. This country will remain strong no matter what because the American people will accept nothing less. Trump made us a promise and he knows we will hold him accountable for everything he does.