Cheer Tryouts to be Held After Spring Break

Hanging a sign for her cheer coach, Empress Corretjer tapes down a poster to raise awareness for tryouts. Corretjer has been cheerleading since was seven, but this is her first year on Timberviews cheer team. Im most excited to see the new team because all the seniors are leaving, Corretjer said.

Skyla Westphal

Hanging a sign for her cheer coach, Empress Corretjer tapes down a poster to raise awareness for tryouts. Corretjer has been cheerleading since was seven, but this is her first year on Timberview’s cheer team. “I’m most excited to see the new team because all the seniors are leaving,” Corretjer said.

Aisosa Omere, Staff Writer

In an effort to prepare for the upcoming tryouts, cheerleaders will be hosting a $15 Cheer Skills Boot Camp here on March 23.

“The cheer squad is all about promoting school spirit and building a sisterhood of leadership on campus,” Coach Faith Elmore said.

Sophomore Briana Lindsay said the intensity of the camp is dependent on the number of girls who attend.

“If there are a lot of people, tryouts are a lot harder,” she said.

Current cheerleaders also have to try out.

“It’s district rules,” Elmore said. “It keeps the squad from becoming complacent and entitled.”

Tryouts usually consist of a dance routine, a cheer and three jumps.

“Last year, my jumps weren’t as good as they are now,” freshman Nakeya Jones said. “But they’ve improved.”

The tryouts will be held at Legacy on April 23.

“The girls need to be loud and able to learn quickly,” Lindsay said.

Elmore said she advises future recruits to attend the boot camp.

“Perform everything with confidence,” she said.

Lindsay said the current squad is eager to welcome the incoming freshmen.

“I can’t wait to meet the new people and all of my new rivals,” she said. “I just hope they’re loud and learn really quickly.”