HOG Week Starts Off with Free Opening Ceremony

Paulina Zuleta, Staff Writer

In an effort to raise money for Changing the Face of Beauty and Without Regrets, the Opening Ceremony of HOG (Helping Others Through Giving) Week will take place tomorrow during ninth block.

“We have been working hard ever since last year, so we really hope for this week to be everything we planned and more,” junior Hannah Patterson said. “We pour our hearts and souls into making this happen, so we hope everyone enjoys it.”

This is the first activity in the eight-day charitable event. At the ceremony, free to students, there will be performances by BOTC groups, Cinderfellas, Drill Team and money will be collected and social media challenges will be announced.

“Opening Ceremony is going to run well,” senior Hala Barodi said. “We’ve been planning for months and we have so much to show.”

Changing the Face of Beauty (CTFOB) is a nonprofit corporation that is committed to equal representation of people with disabilities in advertising and media worldwide.

“(We want) to help as many people as possible by sending out a great message to society,” Patterson said. “CTFOB is all about inclusion and representation for people who are different and since Mrs. (Heather) Colburn just had a beautiful baby girl who has Down Syndrome, it meant a lot to us to do this.”

Without Regrets is similar to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The school will help send an entire family from Fort Worth to Maui, Hawaii.

“(We want) to promote spirit throughout the community,” Colburn, who is the Student Council Sponsor, said. “We want students to understand the joy in giving to others.”

The family and representatives from Without Regrets will be at the ceremony.

“We are hoping to have a great turn out since it is free and we want everyone to get really excited and ready to donate to make a great change,” Patterson said.

The goal is to raise $15,000.

“We (are going to) spend a week working really hard to raise money to help the community while having as much fun as possible, Patterson said.

The circus theme is Hamling Bros.

“It the best week of the year because we all put aside our differences with each other and come together as a school to do something good,” Barodi said. “We are helping change someone’s life.”

Barodi said she excited for the events to begin.

She said, “We hope to get the students excited for the full week.”