Headbands for AVID Fundraiser Sell Out Within First Week

Headbands+cost+%245+for+one+and+%249+for+two.+

Skyla Westphal

Headbands cost $5 for one and $9 for two.

Sapphire Munguia, Staff Writer

In an effort to raise funds, the AVID program started selling headbands at the end of last month. The headbands, $5 each or two for $9, sold out within the first week of sales and more have been ordered.

“I, as an AVID student, was actually excited about the headbands,” junior Bryan Holguin said. “Last year, we sold stylus pens and that was a slow process but in this case the headbands are selling quite fast.”

AVID Coordinator Katrina Mabry-Smith said she wanted to sell something that would work for the campus as a whole.

“We wanted to do something that everyone on campus could enjoy and something that was reasonably priced and could be purchased by people who are not only students,” Mabry-Smith said.

Students are allowed to wear the headbands during school.

“Before we moved forward we tried to make sure these could be worn at school and (to) our after school activities, so that students wouldn’t just buy them and not be able to wear them,” Mabry-Smith said. “Band members can wear them, athletes can wear them, anyone can wear them.”

Junior Ashley Delgado said the fundraiser is beneficial.

“When I first heard of (the) fundraiser I thought it was a really cool idea,” she said. “We can’t sell food plus I thought students would enjoy wearing them to places like football games.”

Mabry-Smith hopes to use the funds to add additional events for her program.

“We have 40 seniors, (and) we are very proud of them,” she said. “We’re planning a senior banquet and lots of other activities for our students.”