Varsity Football Wins First District Game

Dallas Johnson, Editor

With a score of 49-0, the Varsity Football team defeated the Red Oak Hawks last Thursday night, starting the regular season with an undefeated record of 1-0.

“The offense came into the game expecting to dominate,” Assistant Coach Robert Johnson said. “Everyone was locked in on their defensive assignments.”

The Dallas Morning News High School Sports news source SportsDay gave the team a top five ranking of the toughest preseason schedules in 5A football.

“Although we lost two of our three non-district games, we still had confidence in ourselves,” Johnson said. “Anytime you can play teams of that caliber, you’re going to get better heading into the regular season.”

In the 14-year history of the school, the team has never been a Varsity District Champion.

“The goal is to win district,” Johnson said. “With everyone beating each other this early in the season, I think the title is up for grabs. (There is) no doubt in my mind these kids can come out and preform to win a district title.”

After school drills have varied.

“They’re a tough team,” Assistant Coach James Young said. “They run an old-style offense that not a lot of people use. Preparing in practice is different than what we are normally accustomed to. If we are able to handle their offense, we should be fine.”

This Friday night’s game will be against the Midlothian Panthers in the Vernon Newsom Stadium at 7:30p.m.

“With all the hard work in the newcomers this year, we have the strongest team here in a long time,” junior Sterling Warren. “The bonding we have makes us stronger. We connect when we are on the field.”