Girls Volleyball Team Gears Up for District

Dallas Johnson, Editor

With a score of 1-2, the Varsity Girls’ Volleyball team was defeated by the Duncanville Panthers in Tuesday’s night game.

“We played good in the beginning but then things got tough,” junior Rainee Bowers said. “I know we are more talented than that team but the score didn’t reflect (it).”

The girls have won four of their last six preseason games, including last Tuesday’s night victory over 6A powerhouse Arlington Bowie High School last Friday.

“Winning these last few matches has definitely helped shape us into a better squad,” junior Kaitlyn Nwonumah said. “We now see our full potential and know not to play any less than that.”

The previous season, the team finished with a 2-13 regular season record and seventh in the district standings. The nearly last placed finish made the squad ineligible for the UIL playoffs.

“We lost so many close matches last year,” Head Coach Beth Wills said. “Only losing by five or fewer points is tough, but this group of girls (is) learning to go out harder at the start of every match if they want a chance at the end to win.”

Tomorrow the team will face their cross-town rivals, the Mansfield Lake Ridge Eagles, in the first district game of the year. In the previous matchups against the team, the Lady Wolves have fallen short in every contest since the school’s opening.

“We’re really excited for the regular season opener,” Nwonumah said. “All of us have a determined mindset about what we need to accomplish on game day.”