Girls Varsity Basketball Beats Number One Team in State

Hailee Walls, Staff Writer

With a score of 77-75, Varsity Girls Basketball won against the number one team in the state, the Duncanville Panthers, in overtime at Sandra Meadows Arena on Nov. 8.

“I didn’t know whether to cry or yell of excitement,” junior Laurynn Thompson said. “I was so proud. It was one of the best moments of my high school basketball (career).”

Senior Chennedy Carter, who scored 40 points said the game was highly anticipated because it was between two top ranked programs.

“It was a great accomplishment,” she said. “I wasn’t really surprised because I knew I had eight three pointers, but I was more excited that we pulled off the win.”

Thompson said that the audience motivated her to play better.

“The environment we were in is my favorite type,” she said. “I love close games with loud crowds, it (helped) me during the game and it had a positive impact on me.”

Both players, Thompson and senior Taylah Thomas, combined for 27 rebounds.

“We were determined to try and get every (one) possible,” Thomas said.

Coach Kit Martin said it meant a lot to have her husband (who has ALS) in attendance during the game.

“With all the trials and tribulations that his disease has brought to us both, to have him their courtside was indescribably special,” she said. “Then to win in such dramatic fashion was a moment etched in our minds and hearts forever.”

The next game will be played away against South Grand Prairie, on Nov. 15.

Martin said, “It’s just one step in the process, our goal is to get better every game, and be at our best in February (for playoffs).”