Varsity Football Wins Against Summit During Overtime

We won against Summit with a score of 35-28. Senior Elijah Taplin plays  Defensive Back. When offense got the game winning touchdown during overtime. That gave the defense momentum to go out and get a big stop.

Vanessa Zuleta

We won against Summit with a score of 35-28. Senior Elijah Taplin plays Defensive Back. “When offense got the game winning touchdown during overtime. That gave the defense momentum to go out and get a big stop.”

Dallas Johnson, Assistant Broadcast Editor

With a score of 35-28, the Wolves defeated the Summit Jaguars in an overtime thriller last Friday at Vernon Newsom Stadium.

“Summit woke us up with their play tonight,” Coach James Brown said. “A game like that can give a team momentum entering the playoffs.”

The Wolves were down 7-21, at the start of the fourth quarter.

“We need to not take the next game lightly,” senior Collin Loftis said. “Summit almost beat us Friday night because we took them lightly. Any opponent we face in playoffs cannot get the same treatment.”

Last year, the team lost in the first round to South Oak Cliff.

“Our school has a tendency to lose in the second round,” Loftis said. “The goal for the playoffs is to get past that hurdle and hopefully make it to state.”

This will be the fourth consecutive year the team has advanced to playoffs.

“These kids have done a great job in this program,” Brown said. “We have been consistent with winning and this group of guys expect to make the playoffs every year.”

Friday’s Bi-District game against Centennial in Burleson starts at 7:30 p.m., at Newsom.

“I can’t believe I played the last regular season game of my high school career,” senior David Ahenih said. “It’s been a great four years playing with my brothers. All the countless hours working together has earned us an opportunity to fulfill our dreams of becoming a State Champion. ”