Varsity Softball Girls Compete in Area Round Playoffs

Hana Ali, Staff Writer

After winning in Cedar Hill, the Varsity Softball Girls advanced to the second round of area and will be playing at home tonight at 6 p.m., against Lufkin.

“If you see any Varsity Softball players please congratulate them, and wish them luck,” Coach Jeannette Mitchell said. “We would love to have your (the school’s) support.”

The team is in their second round of playoffs.

“Now that we added new members to our team, we have been working together more,” sophomore Madison Munoz said. “We just try to go one game at a time so it’s not a lot of pressure.”

The girls are Bi-district Champions.

“Every aspect from the outfield to the infield to hitting to pitching has improved all year,” Mitchell said.

The series includes three games.

“Hopefully, we get these two knocked out so we don’t have to go to three,” Munoz said. “But either way we are not giving up till we are all on crutches.”

If each team wins one, they will go to a third game to see who advances.

“We have a chance to win against Lufkin,” junior Alexis Ramos said. “However, next round, the teams get harder, so we will have to get ready for that.”

The second game will be away against Lufkin at Abe Martin Stadium, on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

“It’s nice to have support because you have a fan base behind you and people who want you to win,” Ramos said. “It’s always a great experience knowing that you have others rooting for you when you’re on the field.”

She said the team plans to go far in playoffs.

“If we do everything we’re supposed to do, and play well offensively, we can make it,” she said.

Mitchell agrees.

“We should make it to the regional quarters but softball is a game that could be won by very small things, so who knows,” Mitchell said. “Hopefully, we do.”