Students Need to Remember Proper Audience Etiquette

Sapphire Munguia, Staff Writer

Being raised in a household where if you were disrespectful you’d be punished, I’m kind of shocked to see how little manners some people actually have. I always thought everyone was taught about manners just like I was. It never seemed like a problem, but once we entered high school it’s like the manners we were taught don’t apply anymore.

A perfect example of bad manners is with the recent school play, “The Crucible.” It’s common sense to not talk during a performance, but the front row was talking and laughing throughout the show. Some people were even getting up and walking to the stage to take funny pictures of the actors. The audience wasn’t polite at all.

When Grambling State University’s Homecoming Court visited us last month to talk about their school, the audience once again spoke over them at times. Not only were they talking over them, but also guys in the audience were appraising the ladies with catcalls.

Completely inappropriate remarks were being made toward the girls, who were dressed very conservatively. Even conservative dressing still resulted in appalling comments from some of the students.

I’m definitely not as respectful as I should be, but it’s still sick to witness this type of behavior in school. Even at pep rallies the audience can’t stop talking long enough for the speaker to talk. Although pep rallies are something made for students, we still need to find the decency to show a little respect.

We even boo underclassmen as a tradition, when we should know how hard it is to be one. You’re arriving to a new school trying to figure things out, getting booed at pep rallies only makes you feel worse and even more unwanted.

These are only a few of the issues we have with manners at this school. We need to dig deep and remember what we were taught growing up and realize those rules still apply even among friends in high school.