AFJROTC Hosts Spirit Week to Honor Veterans

Megan Guevara, Staff Writer

In an effort to support Air Force Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (AFJROTC), the cadets have planned a spirit week during Nov. 7-11, leading up to the Veterans Day Parade in Dallas.

“When students see the cadets dressed up or get a chance to dress for spirit themselves, we hope the cadets will share their experiences in the program,” Colonel Terry Webster said.

The organization will participate in the parade on Nov. 11, from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

“I love them (spirit days) all but if I had to pick a favorite, I guess it would be Friday’s Red, White and Blue Day,” Webster said. “It’s a day that stands for everything we believe in, as well as all the freedom this great country has.”

During the parade in Dallas, they will march along with those who have served in the military.

“I’m looking forward to honoring veterans with some of my closest friends,” Omere said.

Dress up days through the week will include spirit shirts, hero shirt, camo wear, sportswear and red, white, blue.

“We wanted something everyone could participate in, but something that could still relate back to the military in general,” junior Aisosa Omere said.

This is the first year ROTC will host a spirit week.

“I was planning to make a spirit week since last year but it really didn’t work out,” senior Maria Medina said.

The cadets created spirit shirts to wear at the beginning of the week.

“We are selling our spirit shirts at cost, so we are not making a profit on them because we want to use them solely for creating spirit,” Webster said.

Fuzzy’s Tacos, Raising Canes and Chick-fil-A have also coordinated with the AFJROTC to help raise funds.

“Those funds will go towards our Military Ball and Awards Banquet which is being held at the Mediterranean Villa, across from Hurricane Harbor,” Webster said.

Medina said she hopes the events spread awareness.

“The purpose of it (the spirit week) is to have the school more aware of what ROTC is,” she said.

There will also be a military fair held on Nov. 10, in the Commons during lunch.

“Compared to other school’s ROTCs, we might seem simple,” Omere said. “But if you take a closer look, there’s an almost unbreakable sense of family between many of the members that is just beautiful.”