Leadership Hosts Holiday Card Station for Cook Children’s

During lunch, Team Leadership host a card signing for kids at Cook Childrens hospital. This shows that TImberview students care, sophomore Charay Stewart said.

Skyla Westphal

During lunch, Team Leadership host a card signing for kids at Cook Children’s hospital. “This shows that TImberview students care,” sophomore Charay Stewart said.

Erica Harrington, Staff Writer

In order to bring holiday spirit to patients at Cook Children’s Hospital, Teen Leadership II students set-up a table outside the cafeteria, earlier this week, where students can make holiday cards for sick kids who are currently in the hospital.

“It’s excellent that my school is doing this,” sophomore Emily Watson said. “It’s wonderful that we’re getting involved in the community this way and especially through something so meaningful.”

Sophomore Naomi Lucas spent her lunch period on Wednesday making her card.

“Not a lot of kids get cards (in) hospitals,” she said. “They’re not like cards from Wal-Mart that you just buy because those don’t actually mean anything. I wanted to make something genuine.”

About 50 cards were collected.

“It’s really thoughtful that they were thinking of others during the holidays,” sophomore Gakenia Njenga said.

The school also participated in the Turkey Drive and Toys for Tots.

“It makes the school feel more bonded since we’re working together,” sophomore Temitoro Edun said.

Leadership students will hand out the cards.

“We’re going to deliver (them) to the hospital,” senior Monique Sullivan said. “Most likely on the weekend.”

Lucas said she hopes to brighten her patient’s day with her card.

She said, “I hope my patient feels acknowledged, respected and sees that people here see you as a person and not a patient.”