Annual Toys for Tots Drive Ends Today

Hana Ali, Staff Writer

In an effort to collect toys for families this holiday season, Key Club is helping gather items for the 4th Annual MISD & Mansfield Community Toys for Tots event at the MISD Center for the Performing Arts, on Dec. 9, from 5-10:30 p.m.

“The philosophy behind our contributions for Toys for Tots is to promote a culture of giving amongst our students,” Key Club Sponsor Pauline Edwards said.

Toys for Tots is a program that aims to allow less fortunate children to experience the joys of the holiday season by receiving a new, unwrapped gift.

“The event will include a parade, snow sledding hill, Santa photos, live reindeer, bounce houses, Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate, train rides, crafts, mascot race, ornament making, student performances and other school manned booths,” Edwards said.

To collect donations, Key Club is helping promote the event.

“We are requesting toy contributions at our home basketball games, on Skyward and through morning announcements,” Edwards said. “The last game to contribute at is on Dec. 8.”

Besides helping with donations, Key Club will be manning a face-painting booth.

“I’m really excited for the event because I love Christmas time and being around little kids,” member Maria Baranda said.

The emphasis isn’t on the number of toys donated, Edwards said.

“It is on giving toys from the heart, without the expectation of receiving something in return,” she said. “This drive is ensuring all children, regardless of their circumstances, wake up with a smile on their face Christmas morning.”