Winter Guard Prepares for Competition Season

Tiffany Le, Staff Writer

As Winter Guard gets ready for their upcoming competitions, music can be heard coming from the Commons every Tuesday and Thursday after school.

“(This) is my favorite season because it’s when we get focused and have one specific goal,” senior Farah Abubaker said.

With new director William Agustin leading them, the guard’s goal is to move to the highest level of competition, Scholastic A.

“We almost made it my sophomore (year), but then our previous director decided to put us back down to the Regional A level,” Abubaker said

Agustin has introduced many changes.

“You should be see(ing) more members than in the past and more grown up show choreography,” he said.

With the theme being heartbreak, the song chosen for the show is “Say Something” by A Great Big World.

“I picked the song because I loved the way both artists sing (it),” Agustin said. “Also, it gives the opportunity to design a show concept based on anything in regards to the name of the song.”

Junior Adriana Tapia said the performance can also have a different meaning.

“You can relate it to a friendship ending, a time of letting go or the struggle of giving up,” she said. “Each member has a different story and purpose that you can tell just by seeing them perform.”

Tapia is Co-Captain.

“Not only am I responsible for my own work, but I have to make sure everyone is upholding theirs,” she said.

Abubaker said that this is by far the most challenging winter guard season.

“As a senior, my goal is to perform the best I can,” she said, “I’ve been expected to go above and beyond my limits and to open up even more.”

Only a quarter of the group has been in winter guard before.

“We have faced a couple of obstacles so far,” Agustin said. “We will not be performing the entire show at the first competition as it takes time to design a show.”

Tapia said the guard is now more skilled than ever.

“It’s crazy and so rewarding to see how much the team has improved as a whole in only a matter of months,” she said.

Winter Guard is more than just dance, Agustin said.

“We incorporate dance with props to depict a show concept,” he said, “Hopefully, we can get support from the entire school body at some of the shows.”

Abubaker said she hopes to end her last season on a positive note.

She said, “I’m going to miss guard a lot once I graduate, but I know that my story is coming to an end and that some incoming freshman will take my spot next year.”