Toys for Tots Drive Ends Friday

Payten Boyd, Staff Writer

In an effort to provide children with gifts for the holidays, students are donating toys for the annual MISD Toys for Tots event on Dec. 7, at 5 p.m., at the MISD Center for the Performing Arts. 

“It is important to (donate) because if we don’t then there will be kids without any presents to open on Christmas Day,” senior Marilyn Downing said.

This is the district’s fifth year participating in the drive.

“We want all students to experience the joy of the season by giving just as much as they enjoy receiving,” Assistant Principal Katrina Mabry-Smith said. “We are encouraging everyone to donate what they can because nothing is too big or small and each will make a difference for a child.”

Students have been donating new toys through their advisories. 

“My classmates and I have been encouraging each other to bring in new gifts so we can make sure all students wake up with a smile on Christmas morning,” senior Kevin Ly said.

The event will start with a parade at 5 p.m.

“There will be a lot of things for people to do like a sledding hill, kiddie train, petting zoo and face painting,” Mabry-Smith said. “It’s a joyous occasion for our entire community so we want everyone to come out to support.”

Ly said he knows his donation will impact someone. 

“We all wait for Christmas to arrive for new gifts but some families can’t afford to buy their kids any,” he said. “We should donate so every child can feel a sense of joy with a new toy.”