Trump Wins Despite Losing Popular Vote

Roselyne Omeke, Staff Writer

After months of campaigning around the country, Donald J. Trump beat Hillary Clinton to become our 45th President-elect on Nov. 8.

“I feel good about our newly elected president,” junior Ariel Morante said. “I wanted him to win because he has some good ideas that will make America great.”

Academic Associate Principal Patricia Ayala said it was an interesting election.

“It transpired in a way that I have never seen in my lifetime,” she said. “I am curious to see how things will play out during president-elect Trump’s presidency.”

Sophomore Joey Salazar said he was surprised when Trump won.

“Donald Trump isn’t really the type of person most people would see as a leader,” he said. “I was shocked because from what I understood from the polling, he would lose.”

Trump won the electoral vote over Clinton, who won the popular vote.

“We should all just suck it up and get over it,” senior Carlos Lopez said. “He’s our president now and there is nothing we can do about it.”

Salazar said there needs to be more positivity.

“We the people should tone down the negativity, regardless of how we feel,” he said. “Just because we don’t see him fit, doesn’t mean we should give up on America as a whole.”

Trump, who has no polictical experience, has a background in business.

“His presidency should go well,” she said. “He will do the best he can. We are not perfect, so it is possible he will make a mistake, but everybody makes them. We just have to learn from them.”

Whether students supported him or not, Trump tried to connect with the public through social media, Salazar said.

“I know he can get his point across on certain issues but the way he does things (through Twitter) isn’t the way a leader of a country should,” he said.

Morante said America should give the president-elect a chance.

“A lot of people don’t like Donald Trump but we do have to respect who he is through these next four years,” she said. “He might surprise a lot of people. He loves this country and wants to make it great again.”