Freshman Advances to State Golf Tournament

Aysis Azarcon  (left)  Coach Lindsay Matthews (right)

Photo provided by Coach Lindsay Matthews

Aysis Azarcon (left) Coach Lindsay Matthews (right)

Erica Harrington, Staff Writer

After playing at the State Golf Tournament at Wolfdancer Golf Club near Austin, freshman Aysis Azarcon finished by shooting an 89-82 and tied for 28 on April 25-26.

“I didn’t really expect to get so far,” she said. “It’s just a matter of trusting myself and others, but it’s not like it wasn’t impossible.”

The average number of strokes expected for an advanced player to score on a complete 18 holes is 82.

“An 89 would be seven strokes over the average, something I don’t really like or want,” Azarcon said.

She said she has been preparing for this her whole life.

“I was four when I picked up my first golf club,” she said. “I started to take golf seriously when I was 11 and began competing and taking private lessons. I fell in love with (it).”

Azarcon practices three hours a day after school all year.

“She dedicates a lot of time on the weekends,” freshman Katelyn Regan said. “She works really hard to do her best and improve herself each chance she gets.”

Principal Derrell Douglas supported Azarcon by attending the tournament.

“Aysis will only get better,” Douglas said. “She’s an outstanding young lady and I’m proud to have someone like her representing Timberview.”

There’s only room for improvement for Azarcon, Coach Lindsay Matthews said.

“(We) look forward to another three years of going to state,” she said. “It’s amazing that someone so young can compete with juniors and seniors at the highest level of UIL competition. The future is very bright for Aysis.”