The Outlook

Upgrade of a Lifetime

Back to Article
Back to Article

Upgrade of a Lifetime

Mckenzie Martinez

Mckenzie Martinez

Mckenzie Martinez

Mckenzie Martinez, Staff Writer

Since I began middle school, I’ve been blasting “Uprising” in my room and falling in love with lead singer, Matt Bellamy’s voice. I related to the anti-authorization message and conspiracy theories attached to the songs. Muse has been my unofficial favorite band for years.

When I heard that Muse released “Simulation Theory” in late 2018, I was beyond excited to have the possibility to see them perform on Feb. 24. I got tickets to see them live at American Airlines. The seats were in the nosebleed section but I didn’t care because I was going to hear Muse.

I had memorized all the lyrics of the album and couldn’t wait to belt out all the words with the band. But the surprises had not yet ended because we were able to upgrade from terrace view seats to second row.

The opening band was Walk The Moon, who did a good job of energizing the audience. I thought it was a weird choice to have a stereotypical pop band to open for an alternative rock group, but they handled the audience well. When Muse came out, I was also surprised to see that most of their fans were older adults, it was an interesting observation.

“Algorithm” was the introductory song that started the concert. When the trio came into view, the audience roared with applause. The light show and the dancers came in soon after and the song switched to “Pressure” which made the audience even more hyper. I didn’t sit down the whole concert. At one point during “Psycho,” I balanced myself on top of my chair to see more (the security told me to step down soon after).

The setlist included a lot of songs new and old. The concert featured amazing visuals. There was explosions of confetti and balls filled with glow sticks bouncing around the crowd. The dancers all came out and were specific for each song, for example there were dancers in hazmat suits during “Propaganda.”

Throughout the whole concert, my vocal cords were gone since I was singing and yelling along to all the lyrics. Bellamy’s guitar solos energized the crowd in between songs. Chris Wolstenholme was closest to our seats and did not falter wherever he was on bass while Dom Howard was fast as ever on the drums.

The most visually amazing and scary part was when the human drone came to life. The whole time, an inflatable monster was hidden under the stage. It was unbelievable how detailed and big it was to behold.

The last song was “Knights of Cydonia,” this was the magnum opus of the concert. The song began and was building up to the part when it switches from riding along with the music to a crescendo of rock. Everyone head banged and sang along when it broke and the lights went crazy as the band played.

Muse was an amazing experience. They played with such energy as if they hadn’t been playing for an hour. I am so grateful I had the chance to see them live and would recommend without a doubt for anyone to listen to their new album and go see them in concert if given the chance.