The School Newspaper of Timberview High School

The Outlook

Sheeran Releases Album Full of Chart-toppers

Asylum Records, Atlantic Records

Paulina Zuleta, Editor-in-Chief

From being silent on social media to now screaming out loud, Ed Sheeran’s new album “Divide” was released on March 3. It has been three years since his last album “X,” but he’s found love as a singer and song writer with a new type of beat. Don’t expect to find his typical slow love songs. This time around, Sheeran brings a new energy and a wide range of musical instruments into “Divide.”

In early January, “Shape of You” was released as the first single. It was an exclusive taste of what his album would sound like and a chart-topper. We’re used to the soulful love Sheeran, but now we hear a different side. “Shape of You” is more upbeat than what we’re use to. It takes some getting used to at first, but slowly the beat will seduce you to fall in love with his new style.

This time he is more true to himself and his culture. He brings his Irish heritage into titles with a fiddle like in “Galway Girl” and “Nancy Mulligan.” The songs includes a mix of slow and upbeat. He is also passionate and all of his songs have an emotion that the listener can connect to whether it’s grief, love or fun.

The song “Perfect” is going to be the next classic love song, replacing his “Thinking Out Loud.” It, and many other of the titles dealing with love and relationship, was inspired by his girlfriend who he has referred to as his muse. The soulful lyrics, along with the guitar, is catchy and describes a perfect love.

One song in the new album screams Sheeran. The song “Happier,” gives you a nostalgic feeling of his past music. He describes seeing an ex-girlfriend with a new love. He knows she has moved on but he’s dealing with letting her go. This song has a relatable message to anyone who has ever experienced a break up.

“Dive” also has a vibe of his first album. You can really hear the richness of his deep voice. The beat of the song gives the best of both worlds, pop and blues. This is what most are expecting from him.

He was the soulful ginger head but now he’s changed to more of a hip-hop kind of guy. His music in this album may be different from his previous ones, but don’t worry it’s still relatable. One thing I do appreciate about his music is how he writes all of his songs so passionately. It gives the lyrics a powerful meaning.

Throughout this titles, listeners can hear the range of his voice. You will hear just how talented Sheeran really is. You can tell how much he has grown by the vocals. Anyone can enjoy listening to the music because his songs have a variety of tunes. This album has a different sound but every song title is enjoyable. It fits his style and I can’t wait for his next release, “subtract.”