The Outlook

Las Vegas Mass Shooting Impacts Students

Jakob Hazen

Dallas Johnson, Staff Writer

To honor the victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting that occurred on Oct. 3, a Presidential Proclamation was ordered by President Donald Trump that every United States flag on public or military grounds must be flown at half-staff, so the ROTC program lowered all three flags to show their respect to those who were affected.

“Like the rest of the nation, I mourn for those who are hurt by this tragedy,” Colonel Terry Webster said. “It’s really good seeing the way we have come together as people. Watching news stories about the heroes who rushed people to the hospital was remarkable.”

Senior Bailey Smith has two grandparents and four cousins that live In Las Vegas.

“When I first heard the news of the shooting, I was worried for all my family who lives in the city,” he said. “Not knowing if they were affected while I was watching the news, really made me scared for the worst. I was so relieved to hear that they were okay.”

The shooter, Stephen Paddock, killed 58 people and injured over 500 more. This is the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

“What that man did was pure evil,” senior Karla Reynoso said. “I couldn’t wrap my mind around how someone could be capable of committing such a heartless act.”

Sophomore Martin Gomez Bobadilla said after watching the numerous videos on social media and the news, he couldn’t help but evaluate what actions he would have taken.

“I don’t think I would’ve made it out safely,” he said. “After hearing those first few minutes of gunfire, I see myself being in a total state of shock, most likely looking around and following the crowd’s actions of attempting to run away from the danger.”

The gunman of the shooting attached a bump stock, which is a legal device designed to increase the rate of fire of a weapon, on to his assault rifle. The estimated number of rounds fired within the span of 10 seconds was 90.

“The government should implement more restrictions when it comes to gun control,” Reynoso said. “We can’t allow individuals to walk the streets with these powerful firearms. We (citizens) are asking for trouble.”

Mass shootings have risen drastically in the past six years, according to a report released by the F.B.I., on Sept. 20.

“I don’t feel like it (violence) is what America stands for,” Webster said. “I realize that if we want any change in society when it comes to the number of these violent cases, we must show more love than hate.”