Hoodie Allen Releases New Album

Hoodie Allen Releases New Album

Olivia Brooks, Staff Writer

Steven Adam Markowitz, aka Hoodie Allen, released his first studio album on Oct. 14. On his album titled “People Keep Talking”, there are 14 tracks in total, three of which include the single “Show Me What You’re Made Of,” “Movie” and “Dumb For You.” Each song has its’ own unique meaning and rhythm.

Allen was born in Long Island, New York in 1988 in a Jewish household. After high school he attended the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated college in 2010 with a degree in marketing and finance. He successfully landed a job with Google and began training at their START program. While working at Google he was also attempting to pursue music. After a full day of work he’d go home and write songs, respond to fans and schedule concerts until the early morning. He soon started to feel as if he was working two full time jobs. Eventually, he quit his job at Google to put all of his focus into music.

His album “People Keep Talking” contains a mix of pop and rap in different styles. Most of the songs on the album are pretty decent but there are a few that shouldn’t have even made it on the album.

“People Keep Talking” is a song about people that try to feed off of Allen’s fame. He mentions how he isn’t falling for it and won’t give in to fake people. The song has a medium pace and the lyrics are great.

One of the not so good songs is called “Get It On The Low.” In this song, Hoodie talks about a girl playing hard to get and he knows she wants to be with him. He wants her to give him reasons why they can’t be together. This song is very plain with a simple beat. The lyrics are so terrible that it sounds like he didn’t really try when he wrote them.

His seventh track on the album titled “Act My Age” is a song about seeing everyone else around you grow up and start doing mature things like getting a job and paying bills. All he wants to do is stay young, continue to have fun and throw parties. In general, it’s a good song until you really listen to the lyrics. Most of the things he says are kind of lame and don’t make much sense. The song has a great beat to make up for everything else.

The best word I can think of to describe this record would be average. It definitely has its ups, but it’s hard to miss the downs. The album will go from a really great song to one that sounds like garbage. Although, songs titled “Act My Age”, “People Keep Talking” and “100 Percent Of Something” are some of the better songs. If your opinion differs from mine, Hoodie Allen is currently on tour and will be performing in Dallas on Nov. 23.