Bye Week Provides a Friday Night Off

During bye week, boys track and football team helped out young football players.

Robert R Johnson

Harrison Le, Staff Writer

Because of bye week, those normally involved in Friday night football games were given a break from their regular schedules on Oct. 6.

“It’s usually really hectic because I am the color guard captain,” junior Ariana Bowlin said. “I am worrying about my guards: if they have everything they need, if they are wearing their shirt and shoes, if their uniform is ready and makeup and hair done. So usually during Fridays I am texting them out a whole bunch of reminders.”

For band, the football games are mandatory.

“(We) perform in the stands up until halftime, playing songs to hype the crowd and the football team,” junior Hunter Baucom said. “We also perform our show during halftime and play a tune for the drill team.”

Varsity Cheerleader Shamya Reese spent her free day enjoying time with friends.

“With my Friday off and not having a football game, (we) took the opportunity to go to Six Flags Fright Fest,” she said. “That was everyone’s plan with there being a bye week. We took it positively and appreciated the break we had.”

Some football players spent their Friday with children from the Mansfield PeeWee Association.

“They are the future,” Senior Jyron Russell said. “They are going to be examples to others one day like I am now. We just went out there and were big brothers to those guys. (We) really enjoyed ourselves.”

Coach Robert Johnson, who went with the team, saw it as an opportunity to give back to the community.

“The kids spoke about football and family,” he said. “They had a blast. We all enjoyed the fellowship. It’s good when high school kids share their knowledge with the younger kids.”

Russell said he didn’t see being around the kids as a waste of his Friday night.

“I really enjoyed spending time with them,” he said. “I remember when I was once in their shoes.”

Those participating in Friday night football games are used to having busy weekends, Bowlin said.

“I (normally) feel a little left out,” she said “I had to cancel a lot of my plans Fridays and Saturdays because I have competition(s). It’s a little rough on my social life, but a lot of my friends and family understands.”

Reese said football games are something she looks forward to.

“The games are always fun and supporting the boys every Friday is honestly a lot better than doing anything else,” she said.

This is the only bye week of the year.

“I don’t feel left out because while I’m busy with band I’m constantly surrounded by people who are doing the same thing as me and are just as busy with band as I am,” Baucom said. “I’ve been doing this for three years now and this is just something that happens every year.”