The Outlook

HOG Week Begins Tomorrow

Anh Trinh, Editor

To begin raising money for Cook’s Children Hospital, Student Council has started pre-selling pep rally tickets for the upcoming HOG (Helping Others Through Giving) Week.

“We’ve donated to Cook’s Children in the past years and they as an organization has been impacted from HOG Week (a lot),” HOG Week Student Coordinator Stephanie Heredia said. “So, each year they contact us with a new organization within Cook’s that we can help raise money for.”

The ticket pre-sale prices, which go toward the donation goal, are $3 for each pep rally but will go up to $5 after the sale ends.

“In giving to others there is a greater good; this week serves because it reminds of us of the good in our lives and the good it brings to give to others,” sponsor Heather Colburn said. “It is amazing that we are a Title One school, but we still show up and show out every year for HOG Week. Our students understand the power of coming together and giving because it’s a culture we have created.”

HOG Week will begin with the free opening ceremony tomorrow in the Varsity gym.

“I am proud of the Student Council because they have really put a lot of work into putting together HOG Week as well as all the help from AVID, JROTC, the Art Department and Theatre,” Student Body President Dejardin Moffett said.” We appreciate everyone that has contributed to making this important week happen.”

This six-day charity event includes dress-up days, food nights, a fashion show, social media challenges, Night of the Arts and BOTC (Battle of the Classes) competitions.

“We’ve put a lot of hard work into perfecting our events and making sure it will go well,” Moffett said. “Since this is my last year, my personal goal is to get everyone involved, including freshmen, and to exceed our donation goal. I want to influence future students to step up and realize the importance of HOG Week.”

The theme is Superhog.

“We wanted to make it a fun theme,” Heredia said. “Something that has everyone’s attention and can bring everyone together being involved.”

The goal for donations is $15,000.

“It’s all about giving back to the community, giving back to those in need and those who aren’t as fortunate as others may be,” Heredia said. “It’s a great feeling when you put others first and show a selfless act, knowing you’re making a difference.”

This Friday marks the start of HOG (Helping Others Through Giving) Week. Participate with others in the festivities by going to the events and dress up according to the schedule below.

• Friday, March 1 (B Day): Opening Ceremony in the gym. It is free to enter. “No longer overlooked!” Dress up as a sidekick character from your favorite Superhero movie. The food night is at the Zaxby’s on Matlock from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Monday, March 4 (A Day): “DC vs. Marvel” Wear your class colors. Freshmen wear red like the Flash, sophomores wear blue like Superman, juniors wear green like the Hulk and seniors wear black like Black Panther. The messy pep rally will take place in the varsity gym followed by Cinderfella in the school’s PAC at 6:30 p.m. Entry is $5. The food night is at Raising Cane’s from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday, March 5 (B Day): “Be a hero” Use your imagination and dress up like a Superhero of your own creation. There will be a senior auction fashion show in the Commons at 6 p.m. and entry is $5 at the door. The food night will be at IHOP on Highway 360 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday, March 6 (A Day): “Alter Ego” Dress up like a Superhero, from your favorite movie or comic book. Night of the Arts will take place in the school’s PAC at 6:30 p.m. The entry fee is $5 pre-sale and $10 at the door. The food night is at Chick-fil-A on Camp Wisdom from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Thursday, March 7 (B Day): “Brains vs. Brawn” For boys, dress up as “brawn” and girls dress up as “brains.” A Battle of the Sexes Pep Rally will be $3 pre-sale and $5 at the door. The 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament is at 5 p.m., in the varsity gym for $5. The food night is at Texas Roadhouse on Highway 287 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday, March 8 (A Day): “SUPER HOG” Either wear the main HOG Week shirt or pink out. The closing ceremony is $3 pre-sale and $5 at the door.
Anh Trinh, Editor

Hi! I'm Anh. A professional animal lover and a passionate sleeper. I love to write, read and I hope to achieve great things in the future. I also co-own...