Athletic Servant Leadership Group Returns to Campus

Daja Dansby, Editor

In an attempt to encourage leadership and improve the student body, the school’s Athletic Servant Leadership group returns to campus after a hiatus.

“This is a group that we’ve had prior to this year,” Assistant Coach Todd Monsey said. “It went away for a little while and now we’re working to bring it back. It’s going to be a point of emphasis and something that we’re going to take a great amount of pride in.”

Each head coach selected two students from their sport that exemplify the seven pillars of the group: listening, leadership, growth, love, empathy, community, and humility, to attend a training and represent the organization.

“I was happy I got to be chosen for this,” senior Raven Stevenson said. “I was proud of myself because it shows that there’s something about me that has proven me to have leadership abilities.”

The group teaches and encourages their athletes to be better leaders.

“To me, being a leader is doing what is right and showing people the right way,” junior Adam Cash said. “I try to strive for 100 percent every time I do something.”

The servants wore special shirts on the second day of school and plan to wear them again throughout the year to show who they are and what their mission is.

“We wore our shirts and walked around the halls helping others out,” Stevenson said. “I eventually did help someone. It was really cool.”

The student Stevenson helped was from out of state.

“I explained to him how things were and how the school process worked,” she said. “He didn’t know where his classes were so I think it helped him a lot. It made him more excited about the school and calmer.”

Cash said that being a leader goes beyond just sports and school.

“If you’re a great leader on the school campus, you’ll be a great leader outside,” he said. “We’re going to get the motto that ‘they don’t care, they’re just jocks,’ to disappear (because) we’re more than what they think we are.”

The group is planning on creating posters, attending sports events and volunteering together.

“Timberview has so many great things that simply need to be encouraged,” Monsey said. “It’s still too early in the process to know how successful this is going to be, but it’s really going to be in the hands of the students. They’re going to push our development and our growth.”