Reasons For Not Voting in Election Vary

Anh Trinh, Staff Writer

Although over 126 million people showed up to vote for the presidential election between Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump, only half of America’s registered voters participated. Even though Clinton won the popular vote, Trump will be the President of the U.S., after winning the Electoral College.

“I would have loved to vote but I couldn’t,” senior Maria Medina said. “I am already 18, but I’m a resident and you’re only allowed to vote if you’re a citizen.”

Senior Collin Loftis said he opted out because he felt he wasn’t adequately informed.

“I didn’t vote because I don’t think I really listened to the debates and knew the politics as well as I would have liked to,” he said. “If people understood more about the government they would be willing to vote.”

Senior Dejah Bradley said she didn’t vote because she felt that like it wouldn’t make a difference.

“It’s important to exercise our civil duty but I also think our votes don’t influence as much as they should,” she said.

It is difficult to follow the election if you don’t give it your full attention, said Bradley.

“The youth would have participated more if we were more aware of each candidates’ values and what was happening during the election,” she said. “No one watches debates so it’s hard to stay informed.”

Teaching the youth about our country is a necessity, teacher Misty Terry said.

“Education and starting children off early by allowing high school students a more convenient opportunity to vote is crucial,” she said

Even though a record number of voters turned into watch the presidential debates, voting numbers were low.

“It was a tough decision,” Medina said. “Both candidates were not as good as anticipated and people expected more from them.”

The electoral college played a major part in this election.

“It’s necessary to ensure every voice is heard,” Terry said. “It was created so that those running for office would need to campaign everywhere, not just in populous areas and so that our minority groups truly have a voice. Otherwise, our majority groups would always win.”

Bradley said she believes there shouldn’t an electoral college.

“It is rigged and at the end of the day, the government is going to put who they want into office despite the fact that Hillary won in popular votes,” Bradley said.” Either way the electoral college would choose who they really want in office which is unfair.”

The media determines what the public hears, Terry said.

“If more people would educate themselves rather than just listen to a biased media, then much of the stuff we debate (over) wouldn’t happen,” she said. “The media is great at creating their own news and causing an uproar.”

Medina said voting is still a duty everyone should partake in.

“People can get more involved in voting by starting to contribute to smaller elections,” she said. “By electing new mayors and other officials, citizens will be more aware of what their country truly needs. It is important to vote, because everyone should contribute to what the future will be,” she said. “Not only will it affect you, but it impacts everyone else (too).”