Camp Thurman Unifies Organizations

Tayia Anderson, Staff Writer

As they make their way blindfolded through the woods, weaving in and out of the tall trees surrounding them, only arms keep them connected. Their one chance of breaking into the sunlight is trust.

“It’s extremely scary,” Student Body Public Relations Chair Ashton Vann said. “You don’t completely trust that person but you are forced to because you’re in a situation that you can’t get out of by yourself.”

To create a more unified unit Student Council and Choir went to Camp Thurman in Pantego, during September and November.

“This was my second year attending with choir,” junior Zoe Womack said. “I can honestly say that I have had amazing experiences there because it’s a place where everyone can open up and express their individual opinions.”

Camp Thurman is a non-profit organization that hosts day camp and provides team building adventures.

“We absolutely love Camp Thurman and the people who run it,” Student Council Adviser Heather Colburn said. “Students can get to know each other by doing the activities, all while building each other up.”

Vann decided to attend camp after becoming an officer.

“I wanted to build a relationship with my fellow officers but more then that, I think when you’re in a position of leadership you have to be willing to work with other people,” she said.

Unlike Vann, Womack went to Camp Thurman to get another year of experience.

“Every person that attends gets the opportunity to feel important with each activity that we do,” Womack said.

Colburn said that being in a more relaxed environment can help students grow.

“They really challenge themselves physically and mentally, which allows them to step up into leadership roles they may not take at school or vice versa,” she said.

Activities at Camp Thurman have two categories, Low Element Challenges and High Element Challenges.

“We went to being on the ground doing different activities, then up in the trees climbing and zip lining,” Vann said. “When you’re doing hard tasks like that you have to depend on another person.”

Student council goes annually.

“We go back each year because it’s something to look forward too and it allows the officers to get to know one another,” Colburn said.

The camp has the opportunity to change students’ mindsets, Vann said.

“I’m an independent person and think things are easy to do on my own because it’s me and I trust myself,” she said. “The moment you have to depend on other people it takes you out of your comfort zone, especially if you are independent.”

The activities help groups grow closer, Womack said.

She said, “It may sound uninteresting or lame to some people but it really does shed light on how much a team needs each other to put in the same amount of work in order to reach a goal.”

Vann said Camp Thurman has been a meaningful part of her high school career.

“It’s important because it helps us grow as a team and when you leave, you come out as a stronger team,” she said. “You feel completely unified and connected, like you can do anything.”