Choir Students Compete in Solo, Ensemble

Tayia Anderson, Staff Writer

Because of the recent snow days, the Solo and Ensemble competition has been moved to March 28.

“I’m actually relieved because it gives us a little bit more time to practice,” Choir Director Josi Alexander said. “Kids won’t have an excuse to not practice on their own.”

All choir students have the opportunity to participate in the competition.

“I’m glad to be a part of it, but it is also very time-consuming and you have to be very devoted,” sophomore Collandra Dunford said.

Alexander encourages participants to be individually accountable throughout preparation for competition, junior Josh Young said.

“I feel like through the entire process my singing has improved,” he said. “With the help of my teacher and voice coaches, I can arise to achieve more and (to) better the talent that God has given me.”

Students competing in the contest work like they normally would in class, Alexander said.

“We practice in groups and individually, you just have to rehearse,” she said. “It’s just like singing in a choir, you’re just not hidden behind so many different voices so you have to be extra prepared.”

Individuals are able to participate in a solo, ensemble, or both.

“It’s a bit challenging to prepare because you have to make sure everyone in your group is where they need to be,” Dunford said. “Everyone has to be in one accord.”

Young said he is looking forward to competing with his fellow classmates.

“It is a chance for the choir to display our hard work and effort that we have put in this year,” he said. “It is a chance for Timberview to show all the other schools that we can be the best.”