Student Council Brings Self-Esteem Awareness Week to School

Ifeoluwa Obayan, Editor-in-Chief

In order to promote positivity and increase self-esteem in the student body, Student Council moved “BeYOUtiful Week,” from this week to March 2-6.

“So many people suffer from body issues, low self esteem, eating disorders or weight problems,” Student Body Vice President Kiara Stewart said. “(This) week was created to celebrate beauty of all colors, ages, shapes and sizes.”

While promotional posters have been around the school for some time, there will be dress-up days and activities throughout the week as well, such as “Dropping a Compliment.”

“That way the student body can have a chance to spread a positive message to those that might not hear it often,” senior Yesenia Hernandez said.

Assistant Principal LeAnn Downs said promoting self-esteem awareness is important.

“Students should recognize that beauty is from within,” she said. “It does not matter what you wear, look like, how much money you make or where you come from. I hope they will respond (to the week) in a positive way.”

The event is not a fundraiser, Hernandez said.

“It’s more of spreading an awareness for self love,” she said. “We’re simply providing the supplies to increase our school’s confidence.”

Stewart heard about “BeYOUtiful Week” at a Student Council convention; it is associated with raising awareness for eating and other types of disorders.

“I hope students will begin to overcome any issues with negative self image,” she said. “Hopefully, many people will understand that they are not alone and that everyone has insecurities.”

Downs said anyone who is struggling with the problems that will be addressed in the campaign should feel free to come talk to an adult.

“I also would like to remind our students that we have some amazing counselors on our campus, who can help them with self-esteem issues,” she said.

Hernandez said she would like to see the self-esteem awareness week continue in the future.

“As a senior, I (want) to leave a legacy,” she said. “This is our first year trying to do this type of campaign, and although it might not (run) perfectly, their (the students’) actions and contributions can help make it happen.”

The student body has much to gain from this event, Downs said.
“Believe in yourself,” she said. “Believe that you can do anything you put your mind to. It is my hope that all of our students begin to recognize how incredibly talented and gifted they truly are.”

The campaign will uplift spirits, Hernandez said.

“I feel that some students, when (it) is over, will be surprised at how much others do care about them,” she said. “Some people feel alone or depressed, but hearing that they were on someone’s mind during these activities will make them happy. I know others might not find this beneficial, but that’s the kind of thinking that I want to change.”

Monday – March 2
Dress Up Theme – Pajama Day
Slogan – “You woke up like this”
Student Activity – “Leave your insecurities at the door.” – Students will write personal insecurities on a small sheet of paper and slip them in the box by the front desk. *WILL BE ANONYMOUS*

Tuesday – March 3
Dress Up Theme – Future You
Slogan – “The future depends on what you do today”
Student Activity – Ask students to “boost their selfiesteem”. Take a body-positive selfie and combat the negative impact of media on body image. #THSbeYOU tag @THSstuco

Wednesday – March 4
Dress Up Theme – Glitz and Glam Day
Slogan – Stand up against the crowd
Student Activity – “Catwalk with courage” (all lunches). A long red piece of paper will be taped to the floor in the Commons, and students can walk to the end to exemplify the end of their body shame and negative self-image.

Thursday – March 5
Dress Up Theme – Superhero Day
Slogan – “Be your own hero”
Student Activity – Ask students to use their social media to tag someone with a compliment. #THSbeYOU @THSstuco

Friday – March 6
Dress Up Theme – Work Out Wear Day
Slogan – “Workout your insecurities”
Student Activity – Ask students to take a selfie with the heart made out of the insecurities and compliments. #THSbeYOU @THSstuco