Students Need to Remember Main Purpose of HOG Week

Alex Roman, Staff Writer

As we give up our golden tickets, it’s important that we keep the one true goal in mind, giving.

No one ever said a little competition is bad, but too much can take away from the main purpose of this week.

HOG stands for Helping Others through Giving. Though I highly doubt this is a secret, some people forget the meaning of the acronym. I can already overhear the conversations about which class is going to be better this year and who is actually competition. In all this talk, it is easy to see a potential problem.

In opposition to that, I also overhear those who proudly say, “Do it for Bella,” which is what we should all be talking about. Instead, most of us say “Donate to class of 20__.” So aren’t we all a little guilty of having clouded intentions?

Rather than incorporating competition into our goal, we have allowed competition to become our goal. Instead of continuing the tradition of giving and raising money, it has become about the champion title of the infamous Battle of the Classes (BOTC.)

I don’t think that BOTC is bad or wrong, but some of us let that overtake what we should be focusing on. What I’m seeing is an invitation reaching out to other schools in the district, not just our own. This further exemplifies that it isn’t just a competition within our school, it’s about a community coming together to give.

As we dress up and head out to spirit nights, I think it’s highly important that we save the battles for the gym and keep giving at all times. So gather all your whistles, noisemakers and get ready to empty your wallets for Bella.

SPIRIT NIGHTS AND DRESS-UP DAYS

Monday, Jan. 26 –
Buffalo Wild Wings (5-10 p.m. Debbie and 287)
Factory Day – Dress Formal

Tuesday, Jan. 27 –
CiCi’s (12-9 p.m. off Sublett/Cooper)
Dress Like the Buckets – Thrift Day

Wednesday, Jan. 28 –
Fuzzy’s (5-close off Debbie)
Class Colors: 9 – Blue, 10 – Green, 11 – Red, 12 – Pink

Thursday, Jan. 29 –
Whataburger (6-9 p.m. off Broad)
Grandpa Joe – Elderly Dress

Friday, Jan. 30 –
HOG Shirt