AVID Plans to Volunteer at Mission Arlington

Brandon Castillo, Staff Writer

In an effort to serve the community, a group of AVID students will volunteer at Mission Arlington from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday.

“(Working at) Mission Arlington will give students the opportunity to learn that we all have a responsibility to take care (of) others, especially in our community,” AVID Coordinator Katrina Mabry-Smith said. “It will (also) allow them to experience the joy of giving to others who are in need.”

The group chose the organization because of their experience with it in the past.

“(It) was a place that AVID had chosen to help at in years past, and they do a variety of services,” Mabry-Smith said. “(This) makes it a place where students can realize that there’s so many different ways to give.”

Students will have the opportunity to earn community service hours for college.

“Volunteering is important,” junior Kameron McDowell said. “It will benefit our community because it gives our generation a chance to help others.”

Helping the community can “make you a better person,” junior Bryan Holguin said.

“I believe it’ll help me grow while simultaneously lend(ing) a helping hand,” he said. “Mission Arlington is a great resource to those in need.”

Although students can earn community service hours, there is a larger goal behind volunteering, Mabry-Smith said.

“As a community, we should help our own members when we can,” she said. “You can give your time, talents, energy, encouragement and expertise to help improve the lives of others.”