Softball Season Underway After Multiple Game Cancellations

Marina Jaquez, Staff Writer

Even though inclement weather continuously postponed district play, the softball team is now continuing with their season.

“It has been frustrating, to say the least, but all the teams are facing the same issues,” Coach Donya Mooney said.

Varsity and Junior Varsity (JV) have both experienced delays, but sophomore Kaitlyn Kieu said it affected the JV softball team more.

“It’s really sad because when you’re on JV, the games don’t get rescheduled, so when they get canceled, they’re canceled,” Kieu said.

Despite the weather conditions, varsity player Mariah Denson said she believes there is an upside to the situation.

“(The delay) affected us in positive ways because we got more time hitting in the cages to prepare for the games,” she said. “I think without that we wouldn’t be able to hit as good (as) we do. We could use more work.”

The cancelled games also influenced the fans that support the softball girls, sophomore Claudio Salinas said.

“I like going out, seeing and being able to support them,” Salinas said. “I’m bummed that the games got cancelled.”

The teams played five games during Spring Break, despite rainy conditions.

“Time will tell how it will affect us, but we are focusing on hitting and pitching as much as we can,” Mooney said.

The team started the second round of district last Monday.

“The momentum of going from Tuesday’s to Friday’s games kind of changed because we had to play back-to-back on some games, and others we had to play every other day, instead of two games (a) week,” Denson said.

Softball is currently 9-1 in district and will play Waxahachie today.

Denson said, “We hope to advance to playoffs in either the first or second set.”