Cross Country Team Runs for Fundraiser

Paulina Zuleta, Staff Writer

In an effort to raise money for the Cross Country program, the team held the “Run for Funds” fundraiser at Summit High School on Oct. 15-16

“I participate because I feel it is our duty as a team to raise money to help future generations of cross country runners have the same experience and equipment we had the privilege of having,” junior Matthew Garza said.

Cross Country athletes run as many miles as they can in one hour, and people pledge to the student with either a flat donation or a dollar amount per mile.

“This year most of my donations came from family, but my sophomore year it was almost exclusively teachers who donated for me,” Garza said.

With the amount of money that the fundraiser makes the team will buy new equipment.

“The money will go to help us buy a new tent, stakes, tarp, wind suits and maybe new uniforms,” Coach Cindy Baer said.

Anybody could have donated to the fundraiser with either cash or check.

“If anyone wants to help our team raise money, we would love it,” Baer said.

Setting expectations before the fundraiser has helped the students to accomplish their goals, Garza said.

“I did set a goal of nine miles, which I successfully met,” he said. “I think the more people talk about the fundraiser the bigger it’ll grow.”

Sophomore Victoria Cox said you must have a passion to participate in the fundraiser.

She said, “If you do the fundraiser because you want to do it, you’ll do better than if you were just told to do so.”