Additional Doors Add Security to Building

In order to heighten security on the campus, two sets of new doors were added to the front entrance of the school.

Skyla Westphal

Hannah Pattertson, Managing Editor

In order to heighten security on the campus, two sets of new doors were added to the front entrance of the school as part of bond package from the district’s Maintenance Department.

“They are providing better security throughout the day,” Associate Principal Wendell Joubert said. “The receptionist can better monitor the front entrances because of the new doors.”

The receptionists are now able to immediately lock the doors with the press of a button if they detect a threat.

“The doors do have auto-locking to help provide better safety for the campus,” Joubert said.

Students coming from summer practices or activities first noticed the doors, which changed the open concept that was previously featured in the front of the school.

“I saw them while doing work for teachers and then it made its way to Twitter where everyone then found out,” junior Trey Bolton said. “My first thought was ‘wow, they are really cracking down on off-campus lunch.’”

Students have to find alternate routes since the doors are now locked during class periods.

“They (the doors) have made me take longer routes to get to my classes because we can’t walk through the front,” junior Sydney Jones said.

Bolton said the doors would be more efficient if there were not so many.

“The first set (is) a good idea because the people at the front desk can see who comes in,” he said. “The second set (is) a nuisance for students.”

The addition has helped some students feel more secure, Jones said.

She said, “Overall, they are a good idea for safety.”