Two Students Organize School-Wide Book Drive

Hana Ali, Editor-in-Chief

In an effort to collect books for children in need, juniors Maria Baranda and Jordan Hart are hosting a drive in the library this week to collect gently used or new books.

“Maria and I decided to do this because we wanted a simple way for everyone here, including teachers to get the chance to give back to the community,” Hart said.

The purpose is to give back to kids who don’t have the opportunity to read quality books that can help them broaden their horizon, Baranda said.

“I was sitting in English class reading ‘Forward from This Moment’ and realized just how important it is to have something that can open your mind and allow you to grow,” she said. “Reading the books I have read have helped me define who I am and helped come to some of my opinions and beliefs I live by.”

The books will be donated to the Salvation Army Youth Organization and Jonathan’s Place in Dallas.

“(This is) important to me because I know that something as simple as a book is going to brighten a child’s day,” Hart said. “It feels good to be a part of that.”

The aim is to raise at least 200 books so each organization can receive a minimum of 100 books.

“I want the children we are donating to to receive a lot of books to choose from,” Hart said.

Baranda and Hart organized the event.

“Starting a book drive on our own feels accomplishing,” Baranda said. “Having the teachers help us is also a big help because a lot goes into this and without them it may not be as successful.”

Teachers Heather Colburn, Misty Terry and the library staff assisted Baranda and Hart.

“Anyone doing a book drive has my support,” Librarian Jennifer Rike said. “Anytime you can give to someone in need, it’s a gift to yourself and to involve literacy with that makes it even better.”

All books appropriate for pre-school all the way up to high school are welcome.

“I want students to participate because drives like these and other drives depend on them,” Baranda said. “They really are what makes things we organize successful and because they are helping out a child in need. A book they donate could possibly change someone’s life.”

The drive ends tomorrow.

Baranda said, “Even if we don’t reach the goal we set, as long as books are donated and put in the hands of the children who don’t have access to a vast quantity of books, we consider this drive successful.”