YouTube Allows Students to Get Creative

During school, Senior Davidson ODay vlogs his school day. ODay plans on continuing his youtube channel and adding new videos other than vlogging. I started my vlogs midway through first semester of my senior year ODay said.

Jenny Skaggs

During school, Senior Davidson O’Day vlogs his school day. O’Day plans on continuing his youtube channel and adding new videos other than vlogging. “I started my vlogs midway through first semester of my senior year” O’Day said.

Hana Ali, Editor-in-Chief

From his bedroom, he sets up his camera and his emotional, yet humorous reaction to the mash-up version of ‘Kiss It Better’ by Ar’mon and Trey keeps viewers glued to their screens as he sings along and hits the high notes, just like the artists do.

Little did senior Jordan Atkins know that a couple of weeks later, the five minute and 16-second video would reach 12,000 views.

“I was shocked,” he said. “It was a great feeling because I was feeling discouraged that no one was watching my content.”

Atkins started making videos during the school year.

“I watch YouTube more than actual television,” he said. “I figured I might as well try it out because I had a camera.”

He currently has over 700 subscribers on his channel “JBOOGtv.”

“Deep down, I always wanted to be a YouTuber to make people laugh and just as another way to express myself,” Atkins said. “It can also bring in money.”

Senior Davidson O’Day also has a YouTube channel.

“I used to just sleep when I got home, but when you have a passion for something you try to dedicate time to it, so that’s what I did,” he said.

O’Day uploaded his first video, which was a gaming review on Grand Theft Auto 5, on YouTube on June 17 and started vlogging Oct. 12.

“I had everything I needed to start, so I made my first (one),” he said. “It was probably the funniest. Everybody loved it and told me to keep on making them. I was really inspired to keep on going and create more.”

O’Day, whose channel is “Icecolddave,” vlogs every two days.

“I started vlogging because although I still wanted to do game reviews, I wanted to expand the content on my channel,” he said. “I also do pranks and challenges to diversify it. I didn’t want my viewers to think that I only do one kind of thing and stop watching.”

After high school, Atkins plans on attending Prairie View A&M University.

“I like to think of myself as an entertainer,” he said. “I’ll still make videos (because) I always try to make people laugh and people come up to me and give me positive feedback.”

Senior Brandon Picazo said the videos that O’Day makes are unique.

“It’s different than most (people’s videos) here because everyone usually raps or sings on YouTube,” he said. “His (O’Day’s) content is really personal and funny.”

One of O’Day’s main channel inspirations is Darryl Granberry, also known as PontiacMadeDDG.

“Seeing how he can be so successful with YouTube, while still being in college, shows me that he’s able to make what he loves a career,” he said. “His channel is similar to mine because he does skits and vlogs every day.”

O’Day said he tends to not vlog during class.

“I try not distract my peers and I,” he said. “The only time I vlog is when we’re really not doing anything. Right when the bell rings though, my camera is on and rolling.” 

After he graduates, O’Day plans on attending the University of Houston.

“If it (YouTube) works out for me to the point where I am getting paid, I will major in a degree related to creating videos,” he said. “If it doesn’t, I will go to college to become a civil engineer.”

However, Atkins said he will continue to make videos for as long as he can.

“I plan on doing YouTube for the rest of my life,” he said. “While vlogging, I just try to keep it natural, true and as real as it can be.”

Most of Atkins’ videos are recorded in his bedroom.

“I usually wait until my family is out of the house, so I won’t have any loud noises in the background,” he said. “I have a bookshelf that I use to set my tripod and camera on. I record during the daytime, so I can get better lighting.”

O’Day said he struggles balancing school and his channel.

“When I started my channel (last) summer it was easy to post videos on a regular basis, but now I have so much work to do in my classes, especially with my college essays and applications,” he said. “Right now, school is my number one priority. My channel isn’t that big. It’s a hobby that I want to turn it into a job.”

His friends always enjoy making appearances in O’Day’s vlogs.

“Sometimes when I don’t post for a while, my friends and viewers ask where my videos are,” he said. “It makes me feel so bad when I’m not able to post because people really look forward to it.”

Senior Devon King said he is proud of O’Day.

“It’s inspiring that he’s trying to do something with his life and working hard,” he said. “He made me question if I should start one of my own because of the money they (YouTubers) make.” 

A few of O’Day’s teachers support him and watch his vlogs.

“I try to make my videos family friendly, so I bleep out any cuss words,” he said. “They (his teachers) give me really nice feedback.”

Some of Atkins’ videos include challenges, reactions and clothing hauls.

“I filmed a death prank video on my mom once,” he said. “She got so traumatized after and didn’t want me to post it, so I didn’t. But my family usually thinks my videos are pretty silly when they see them, but they support me and think what I do is cool.”

If his channel becomes more successful, O’Day said he plans to make vlogging into a career.

“I like doing what I do because it makes people laugh,” he said. “It makes me keep on going because it inspires others. So many people have come up to me asking how to make a YouTube channel. What I’m doing makes me happy.”