Closing Ceremony Wraps Up HOG Events

Eric Montgomery, Staff Writer

The eight-day charitable event HOG Week raised $19,203 at the Closing Ceremony, on March 11 in the Varsity Gym, for Changing the Face of Beauty and Without Regrets.

“We worked countless hours and put everything in our lives on hold to give our all to make this week possible,” junior Hannah Patterson said.

On social media, English teacher Peter Downing challenged the freshmen to raise $300, they raised over $600, in exchange to shave his beard then glue it on top of his head.

“No one thought we could do it and I was proud that I got to be a part of raising money for the charities,” freshman Jasmine Austin said. “In the end, that’s what it was all about. Shaving his beard was just an added bonus.”

The final dodge ball tournament featured The South Dallas Baptist Youth Ministry (SDBYM) and the Dream Team in a game, which ultimately ended with SDBYM winning.

“We put in a lot of work and had a great time,” senior Colin Hadnot said.

Despite heavy rain resulting in the cancelation of the Powderpuff Game, the male cheerleaders of each class were still able to perform their routines at the ceremony.

“I channeled my inner cheerleader while dancing,” senior Undre Jordan. “It was a fun way to end my last HOG Week.”

Patterson said the week was a success overall.

“The fact that we surpassed our goal and were able to help out organizations is a huge deal,” she said. “Not only for us but for the whole school. I’m so glad all the hard work paid off because it was worth it.”