Principal, Student Switch Roles to Help Fundraise for HOG Week

Learning what it is like to be principle, Lindsey Austin switches places with Mr. Douglas for the day. Being principle was a good experience because I got to see that they dont sit around and do nothing all day. For example, he goes to other schools and works out issues with other schools in the district.

Skyla Westphal

Learning what it is like to be principle, Lindsey Austin switches places with Mr. Douglas for the day. “Being principle was a good experience because I got to see that they don’t sit around and do nothing all day. For example, he goes to other schools and works out issues with other schools in the district.”

Roselyne Omeke, Staff Writer

In an effort to raise money for HOG Week, Principal Derrell Douglas switched roles with senior Lindsey Austin who bid the highest on March 7.

“One of my favorite day’s each year is Principal for the Day,” Douglas said.

Austin bid $30.

“I needed to pay it forward and this was an amazing cause that I love supporting,” she said.

Attending meetings about textbooks, Wifi and district issues with all the principals in Mansfield, were some of Austin’s responsibilities.

“They get a good picture of what the principal’s job is like,” Douglas said.

Austin said the most difficult part was staying on top of everything.

“One of the hardest things about (being) the principal was probably time management with all my meetings and duties as a principal,” she said. “I did random ID checks and teacher/class evaluations.”

The students found the switch to be entertaining, Douglas said

“The kids usually think it’s pretty funny to see me dressed like a student, struggling to get to class on time and complete their classwork,” he said. “I hope the teachers enjoyed it, too.”

Austin said her time as principal was enjoyable.

“It was an amazing experience,” she said. “I think I played a great principal and Mr. Douglas was a great student.”

Switching is beneficial to Douglas, he said.

“I (always) learn something helpful every year about what it’s like to be a Timberview student,” he said. “I use the experience I gain when we’re making decisions that affect kids.”