Teens Turn to Alternate Transportation Through a Paid Service

Becoming more popular, the new up and coming app Uber easily provides transportation around town.

Skyla Westphal

Paulina Zuleta, Staff Writer

Because some students don’t have a driver’s license, minors are using the Uber driving service without being accompanied by an adult.

“I don’t have a license and I don’t like asking people for rides so I only use Uber for school,” junior Dejah Bradley said.

Uber requirements state that it is illegal to drive minors by themselves.

“If a minor requests (for an Uber) they will be required (to) prove their age, otherwise the service will be refused,” Uber driver Mario Calderon said.

Calderon said he refuses to pick-up minors because of the regulations.

“I will (tell) the requester that they need to be accompanied by an adult in order to be in the car,” he said.

Freshman Henry Imolehin also uses the driving service regularly as a form of transportation.

“My parents aren’t home all the time and I need rides to places,” he said. “Either to school or after school activities.”

The trip to Bradley’s house to the school is 1.2 miles and costs $5, which is minimum fee.

“The good thing about Uber is it’s really cheap,” Bradley said. “They always have coupons too so I can use my code for a free ride.”

Bradley said the freedom the service provides is more than worth the fee.

“You don’t have to rely on other people,” she said. “It’s the Uber’s job to give you a ride so you don’t feel bad and they still get paid even if you use the coupon.”

Students should consider downloading the app, Imolehin said.

“If your parents aren’t home, you don’t have a ride and you want to go somewhere you should use Uber because it’s not that expensive,” he said.

Once a driver is arranged, students are sent information about the driver including a photo, phone number, the car make and model and the license plate number.

“The first time I was scared and the guy looked creepy but I know you don’t judge a book by its cover,” she said. “He was really nice and was telling me about his daughter and his wife. He also explained how safe it is and how he does it to help people out.”

The wait for an Uber is not long, junior Sativa Still said.

“The person they have nearest to your location gives you a time of how long they will take to pick you up,” she said.

Bradley said she always double checks to see if it’s the driver from the picture.

“I’ll be like roll your window down and they’ll say ‘Hey, I’m right here,’” she said.

After the trip, either a credit card or PayPal account will be charged.

“My parents are the ones who pay my ride,” Imolehin said. “They use their card.”

Still said she uses Uber for work and it’s been a comfortable experience.

“The cars are always clean,” she said. “Not only is the person nice but they also ask questions about what radio station you would like to listen to and if you’re too hot or cold.”

Calderon said he drives to support his family.

“I Uber to bring additional income to the household and due to lack of taxi service in South Arlington and Mansfield,” he said. “Also, I love to help the neighborhood to be another transportation option.”