PTSA Brings Back Homecoming Dance

Roselyne Omeke, Staff Writer

After five years without one, the PTSA has reinstated the Homecoming Dance, which will be held on Oct.17, from 7 to 10 p.m.

“The PTSA wanted to bring back the dance and began talking about it last year,” PTSA President Melissa Jones said. “We felt it was a rite of passage, a high school tradition and a memory that all students should get to experience.”

Homecoming Head Hala Barodi said she doesn’t know why the annual dance was canceled.

“There hasn’t been a dance since 2012,” she said. “I can’t really say why it was taken away because I’ve only heard rumors.”

Before the dance could be organized, the PTSA had to get consent from Principal Derrell Douglas.

“A detailed proposal was submitted to Mr. Douglas last May,” Jones said. “After consulting with him, we made some modifications and he approved it.”

Jones wants this dance to be the start of many more to come.

“I wanted my daughter and our exchange student to have a traditional Homecoming weekend,” she said. “I am hoping that even if the dance is not big this year, it will lay the ground work for years to come and the dance will be a tradition that all students will look forward to.”

Jones said Homecoming, along with other high school traditions, is an experience you’ll never forget.

“As someone who graduated high school 23 years ago,” Jones said. “Proms, Homecomings, sports teams and activities you were in, graduations and big events are the things you fondly recall. Nobody remembers the day-to-day drama. You remember that cool dress you wore and laugh when you see pictures of your friends.”