District Pulls Blue Bell Ice Cream from Schools

Racheal Washington, Staff Writer

Due to the possible contamination of Listeriosis, the district removed all Blue Bell Ice Cream products on April 21.

“I’m pretty terrified since some kids eat the ice cream here every day,” senior Paris Tyler said. “I hope no one comes down with anything.”

The district did not initially remove Blue Bell products because the items sold on campus were not on the first recall.

“I was mad when I saw some adults taking the ice cream out since I ate their products and enjoyed having a Blue Bell ice cream every now and then,” senior Ashley Sanderson said.

Blue Bell’s latest recall on April 20, included all products. The district responded by pulling all Blue Bell items.

“It’s important that they took out the products immediately so no one gets sick or sued,” School Nurse Rebecca Fancher said.

Fancher said no one in the district has come down with the infection, and that students shouldn’t worry.

“If a healthy student ate the product that had Listeriosis, their body would already be fitting off the virus,” Francher said.

Sanderson said she plans to buy the ice cream brand once the issues are resolved.

“Once they (Blue Bell) fix the problem, it will be back in our vending machines but it (is reported to) be early August,” she said. “I’ll still buy their products when it appears to be clean and safe.”