Winter Weather Leads to School Closure

Ifeoluwa Obayan, Editor-in-Chief

Because of inclement winter weather that created icy road conditions, the district closed school on Monday and Tuesday.

“(I) graded papers (and) put them into Skyward, while watching multiple episodes of Dexter on Netflix,” Biology Teacher Timothy Maschal said.

Senior Leo Espinoza said he used his time productively, since he was stuck at home.

“I got together with my friend (and) filmed a new episode for our YouTube channel called The Host,” he said. “I also cleaned my room.”

The decision to cancel a school day is made by district administration, and then the community is notified through various communication channels.

“I didn’t think the district would take it (the weather forecast) so seriously,” junior Ravyn Casteel said.

Despite wintery conditions school resumed on Wednesday, after students and teachers were notified early that morning.

“The snow days cost us two days of work, which may affect teachers if they assigned a test or quiz,” Espinoza said. “We don’t have time to miss school and turn in make-up work on time.”

With the six weeks ending on Friday, the snow days may change many teachers’ schedules particularly in biology, Maschal said.

“It creates a serious problem because the freshmen biology students have to take a CBA (curriculum-based assessment) by March 5,” he said. “That’s two less days to teach. They (the district) may move that back.”

The bad weather make-up dates will be on April 2 and June 4, which were previously early release days for students and staff development for teachers.

“Hopefully, (we’ll) catch up at the end,” Maschal said. “We have so much we’ve got to fit in. It was nice and relaxing, and I caught up on work, but in the long run it hurts the students.”

Despite the inconvenience, Casteel said she hopes students don’t take snow days for granted in the future.

“Breaks aren’t just for relaxation,” she said. “I wish teens would take advantage of the time to study or get stuff done.”