Final Dodgeball Game Will Take Place at Closing Ceremony

Brandon Castillo, Assistant Editor

In an effort to raise funds for HOG week, a dodgeball tournament was held in the JV Gym on Tuesday.

“It’s just one of those classic, traditional events that we have,” Student Council Sponsor Heather Colburn said. “It pretty much runs itself. It’s high energy, so there’s a lot of competition.”

The top two teams, the Neons and the Gobstoppers, will compete for first place during a final dodgeball game during Friday’s pep rally.

“It (was) a tough win (against the other teams),” senior Robert Morris said. “We played to our strengths.”

Any club or organization was able to make their own team.

“It was a good game, (and) we gave it our all,” senior Samuel Ankamah said. “It wasn’t enough, but it was still fun.”

Although his team didn’t win, Ankamah said that HOG Week isn’t just about competition.

“It’s significant because it helps with the union of the school,” he said. “We get to join as a team and help someone less fortunate.”

The event also helps students feel like they’re doing more to contribute to their community, HOG Week Committee Head Abel Barron said.

“This really does help everyone get involved and (realize) they can actually make a difference,” he said.

Even though winning may seem important, there is a lesson that others can learn from this experience, Morris said.

“(It’s) important to help others and having fun doing it,” he said. “There’s people who can’t do certain stuff we do and are in different situations that we are.”