Toys for Tots Drive Ends this Week

Paulina Zuleta, Staff Writer

The drive for the third annual Toys for Tots district event, which will take place on Dec. 10, ends Friday at 10:40 a.m.

“We collected a few hundred toys, but we are planning on doing much better this year,” Data Specialist Renee Cox said.

The campus goal for this year is 1,359 toys.

“Look for the Toys for Tots trees going up in the cafeteria, Commons and front desk,” Cox said. “Those trees will begin to have ornaments hung on them as we collect toys. It truly takes a village ‘a very large village’ to pull this off successfully.”

An early start to the drive will give the school better chances despite district competition, senior Abel Barron said.

“You can never be too prepared, the more the merrier,” he said.

Drum-line, cheerleaders, drill team and ROTC will be participating in the event, which will be held at the Center for the Performing Arts from 5 to 10:30 p.m.

“(The) Celebrities are walking in the kick-off parade and also performing on stage,” Cox said.

The event will have numerous activities including real reindeer and food trucks for families.

“I love knowing that I’m helping out children who really need it,” Barron said. “I feel like sometimes we take Christmas for granted and we forget how fortunate we truly are.”

Studio Movie Grill tickets as well as a popcorn and movie party will be awarded to the fourth period class that collects the most toys.

“We really want to focus on making this a team effort,” Barron said.

The district partners with the US Marine Corp Reserves, so Toys for Tots can be a collection sight and event.

“I feel obligated to try to help some of these kids out; I want them to know that they deserve everything they want and more,” Barron said.

Reynoso said that helping last year made her feel like she was making a difference.

She said, “Just imagining the joy we were bringing to a child or someone in need filled me with a sense of accomplishment and happiness.”