Montgomery Named YMCA Youth Governor

Photo Provided By: Derrell Douglas

Erica Harrington, Staff Writer

After campaigning, junior Kennedy Montgomery was named the 2016-2017 Texas Youth Governor of the YMCA on Jan. 30, in Austin at the annual state conference.

“I was nervous, honored to be there and thankful when they finally announced me the winner at the end,” he said. “I thanked God and everyone for supporting me.”

The program simulates government processes among students.

“The most significant thing I do is sign a (YMCA) bill into law or veto it,” he said. “If it passes the house and the senate, which are sections of youth and government where bills are debated and ‘passed,’ (they) are sent to me. “

He gave a keynote speech during the campaign rally.

“My responsibilities (include) attending a governor’s and national affairs conference,” Montgomery said. “They can get tedious.”

Assistant Principal Wendell Joubert said the school is represented on a state level.

“I am very excited and proud about the opportunity Kennedy has to represent (the school) as a part of this fine organization,” he said.

A friend introduced Montgomery to the YMCA’s Youth and Government Club.

“I initiated it (the club) here because I loved the program and I wanted to bring (my) peers closer to democracy and unity,” he said.

Joubert said he is excited for Kennedy and the group.

”This illustrates our value on leadership development in students while also showing the importance of community involvement,” Joubert said. “All of the students in this organization have the opportunity to understand the importance of government and the role it plays in their daily lives.”

As governor, Montgomery will be dealing with a range of YMCA bills.

“It could be about gender neutral restrooms, or about (naming) a holiday (after) Tony Romo,” he said. “It all depends.”

Currently, only four members are involved in the program.

“This was actually my first, and sadly my last, year in Youth and Government,” senior Marina Jaquez said. “I joined because I have always been interested in how our government works.”

The club is open to anyone.

“I do a lot of preparation and praying so I’m never overwhelmed,” he said. “But it definitely takes tremendous effort and concentration.”

Jaquez said Montgomery inspires her.

“Just seeing Kennedy be able to achieve one of his dreams makes me determined to reach mine,” she said.

In the future, Montgomery said he decided he plans to major in politics.

“Being governor, I’ve seen that this is an entry level position,” he said. “Later in life, I definitely plan to move up the career ladder.”