Nerd Club Starts Up Again

With+new+sponsor+Katrina+Mabry-Smith+taking+charge%2C+Nerd+Club+now+has+approximately+65+members.+

Skyla Westphal

With new sponsor Katrina Mabry-Smith taking charge, Nerd Club now has approximately 65 members.

Racheal Washington, Staff Writer

After a one-year hiatus, Nerd Club, where students watch sci-fi movies, play with Yugi-Oh cards and watch anime, has restored its status with a new sponsor.

“Our club provides a safe and welcoming place for students to be themselves,” Nerd Club Sponsor Katrina Mabry-Smith said. “This diverse group helps make (the school) such a wonderful place, and I am so proud to be a part of this.”

The club also plans on helping outside of school.

“We would like to be more active in the community and participate in service projects,” Mabry-Smith said. “We also plan to fundraise and purchase t-shirts.”

Tripling in its original size, the club now has approximately 65 members.

“We were able to gain members through advertisement with events like Clubapalooza and Pup Prep,” President Brittany Watson said.

Smith said she has high hopes for the club officers.

“My expectations are that our officers be prepared for each meeting, fulfill their duties faithfully, be considerate of their fellow club members and set good examples for others both in and out of the classroom,” she said.

Watson said she would like the club to stand out.

She said, “I’m really hoping that we can show the school that we’re not background characters, but we are a part of the school and cool.”